Saturday, March 2, 2013

Taco Salads

Welcome! This is my first attempt at posting on my new blog! I am just starting out so I do not have pictures of my own creation for this meal but will try to post pictures with my future blog posts. 

Call me crazy but I have never made Taco Salads... EVER... before last night. Now that I have, I'm not sure why it took me so long to do so. I love easy meals and half way healthy is helpful too.

I am always unsure how to go about something I have never done before so of course I referenced Pinterest so I would have somewhere to start and found the Women Living Well's Blog and the attached recipe. The picture alone was enough to inspire me to create my own. 
Picture from Women Living Well

This is what I came up with and my husband loved it!

1/2 head lettuce
1 lb 80/20 ground beef
1/2 packet taco seasoning
1/2 bag corn tortilla chips
1/2 onion chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
garlic powder
salt & pepper
your favorite toppings

First I browned the ground beef  with the chopped onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

While the hamburger was cooking I poured 1/2 a bag of corn tortilla chips into a large mixing bowls and lightly smashed them with the bottom of a glass cup. 

Then I took 1/2 a head of lettuce shredded it and added it as well as the shredded cheese to the crushed chips.

Once my hamburger was done I drained the grease added 1/2 packet taco seasoning and half the water that it called for on the package then returned it back to the heat until thickened.

I added the seasoned meat to the lettuce/chip/cheese mixture and tossed it all together.

Since my husband and I like different toppings and dressings I dished out our portions on a dinner plate and we topped them as we liked. He used salsa and sour cream and I didn't salsa, sour cream AND ranch! It was delicious, who knew something so SIMPLE would be so easy and good all at the same time. Even better little to no clean up is involved with this meal.

Doing it once now I will add pinto beans rinsed and dried on paper towels and fresh tomatoes next time to make it more hearty! Maybe next time we will have left overs...


No comments:

Post a Comment